Thursday, June 9, 2016

Gateway to the West

Saint Louis Gateway Arch
Paula and I arrive in Saint Louis early enough to catch the morning sun reflecting off the Saint Louis Arch.  We ride gondolas inside the structure to get to the top for spectacular views over the Mississippi to the East and Saint Louis to the West.  Can you see us peering out the little slits at the top of the picture?  When we arrive back on Earth, we notice a couple of bicyclists with panniers.  I ask them where they're from.  "China" sez one.  The other bows politely.  They have traveled from the West coast following Route 66 wherever they could.  They are headed to Chicago.  We wish them luck.  They can speak VERY little English.  I marvel at their success since they've been on the road for two months.  I can only imagine what they faced trying to get to this central Saint Louis destination, much less, cross the Rockies.  And I'm reminded of Aaron and Meredith when they were much, much younger.

2 comments:

  1. Mostly this reminds me of your trip in Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Afterward, I wished I had taken our picture with them. When I turned around again, they were gone!

    ReplyDelete